I was just diagnosed with high blood pressure. This really surprised me. I’m in good shape. I exercise. I eat well. I don’t have a family history. My doctor wants to put me on a medication. I asked him to give me a week to think about it and he agreed. I’ve been doing some research and I read that mercury filled amalgam fillings can cause high blood pressure. Is this a legitimate thing or just one of those extreme health nut conjecture things? Is it worth it for me to get rid of them?
One of the problems patients in your situation face is the conflicting information. On the one hand, you’ve got the American Dental Association saying that amalgam fillings are perfectly safe. On the other hand, you’ve got studies showing the mercury vapors released from amalgam fillings are high enough to have adverse effects on the body. High blood pressure was one of the specific things mentioned.
There’s no guarantee that it will lower your blood pressure, but it will be (at the very least) better for your teeth. Not to mention giving you peace of mind, which is worth a lot on its own.
Who Should Remove Your Mercury-Laden Fillings?
Removing amalgam fillings is one thing. Removing them safely is another. You’ll need a dentist who knows how to do sanitary amalgam removal. That will protect you from inhaling mercury vapors which are released during the removal process as well as swallowing any little pieces.
While many mercury-free dentists do know how to do that, it’s best to ask. They should mention something called a stopper dam. If you have a hard time finding a dentist who knows the procedure, you should try a holistic dentist. They will definitely know how as well as have the materials needed on hand.
They have the additional benefit of being more willing to work with patients with unusual sensitivities, such as metals. They’ll even offer metal-free dentistry.
This blog is brought to you by Kalamazoo cosmetic dentist Dr. Susan Dennis.