Can you help my boyfriend? He got Invisalign several months ago and now I can barely stand to be close to him. His breath smells like death. I don’t know what’s going on. He’s starting to notice that I’m avoiding kissing him. I feel like if I do I’ll end up vomiting. That won’t be very flattering to him. I don’t know if I should just come straight out and tell him or not. First, I thought I should find out what’s going on. Surely not everyone who uses Invisalign ends up with breath that can melt flesh. Help me.
It’s great that you want to help your boyfriend. And you’re right, they shouldn’t make you feel like you’re dating a rotting corpse. It sounds like your boyfriend is skipping some important steps in his Invisalign hygiene plan. Here’s what he should be doing.
Keeping Your Invisalign Aligners Fresh and Odor Free
- Never eat or drink with them in. It’s one of the few times you’re allowed to remove them, so take advantage of it.
- It’s equally important you brush your teeth before you put them back in. Otherwise, the bacteria gets trapped and festers.
- Make sure you’re also brushing and flossing twice a day in addition to brushing after meals.
- Stay hydrated. Your saliva is a great protector of your teeth. It doesn’t get to your teeth as easily. It’s important you drink a lot of water throughout the day
- Clean them daily with a soft toothbrush or Invisalign cleaners.
- Keep up with your dental visits.
Talk to your boyfriend. Every good relationship relies on the partners being honest with each other in a kind way.
If it turns out he’s doing all of those things properly then there’s something else wrong. It could be decay that needs to be dealt with or an illness. Sometimes strep can cause a horrible smell. He’ll need to see his doctor.
Best of luck to both of you.
This blog is brought to you by Kalamazoo Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Susan M. Dennis.