Having a healthy smile is a huge part of having a healthy body. So how can you be sure you are taking the proper steps to keep your smile healthy?
Below are five tips for a healthy smile you can start right now!
- Eat healthy. Avoid foods that are sugary or highly acidic such as candy, soda, etc. Sugar and acid are the number one causes of tooth decay. When you have a diet high in these types of foods, you are at a greater risk of decay, cavities, halitosis, and enamel erosion.
- Floss daily. A lot of food particles will get wedged up inside your gums where a toothbrush can not reach. This is why flossing is so important for a healthy smile. Take the time each day to floss carefully around all of your teeth to avoid gingivitis.
- No smoking. Smoking is extremely bad for your teeth, as well as the rest of your body. Avoiding smoking is one of the best ways to maintain it. Smoking is also a big contributor to halitosis and staining. If you are already a smoker, make the effort to quit; your whole body will thank you for it.
- Brush after every meal. Leaving food particles to build up bacteria in your mouth over long periods of time can lead to many oral health issues. Always be sure to rinse and brush your teeth after each meal, so you can keep your smile healthy.
- Dental cleanings. Keeping up with regular dental cleanings is imperative for a healthier smile. You should be sure to make an appointment every six months. Consistent dental cleanings will help your dentist find potential issues, and keep your smile as healthy as possible.
Follow these five tips for a healthier smile, contact us to stay up to date on our oral health, and you will be creating great habits for your oral health!